Starting a new business can be exciting; but before jumping in head first, it is important that business owners take the time to explore their options and learn as much as possible about starting, running, managing, and closing a business. In an economy when small business owners are forced to close their doors and start over, it is essential to approach this new endeavor in a realistic manner. Proactive business planning and effective management will help your new business to be successful. Below is a collection of resources and information for business owners. Covering topics from the beginning to the close of the business, you will be better prepared to run your new business.
Planning your Business
- Business Plan Resources – Resource to help entrepreneurs create a business plan and jumpstart their success.
- Why is a Business Plan Important? – Learn why it is important for small business owners to create a business plan.
- Business Planning Links – Links for business owners searching for information about starting and running a successful business.
- Business Plan Info and Samples – Information and sample business plans to be referenced by business owners.
- Creating a Business Plan – Tips and an outline of how to write a business plan.
- Business Plan Outline – Follow this section by section outline when writing a business plan.
Starting Your Business
- Starting a Business – Tax and reference information for start-up businesses.
- Ten Steps to Starting a Business – Follow these ten steps to start a successful business.
- Business Start-Up Guides – Important information for business owners, these resources will help you to better understand how to start and run your business.
- A Practical Business Guide – Information for people interested in starting their own business and what it entails.
- Choosing an Entity Type – Types of potential business types available to start-up businesses; this is important to consider when starting a new business venture.
- New Business Resources – Learn about starting a new business, filing taxes, naming your business, and business registration.
- Smart Start Business Guide – This is a PDF file with detailed information for start-up business owners.
- Starting a Business FAQs – Find answers to many of your start-up business questions here.
- Agri-Business Resources – Starting an agriculture business? These resources will help you in the process.
- New Business Information – Resources and information for new business owners.
- Start-Up Checklist – Use this checklist to help you in your new business venture.
- Start-A-Biz – Assess your ability to start a new business and find useful resources.
Managing Your Business
- Business Planning for Success – Tools to help you proactively manage your business.
- Management Suggestions – Advice for new business owners in 2010.
- The Bottom Line – Learn how to make a profit your successful new business.
- Managing Small Business Finances – Learn more about how to properly handle your small business finances.
- Managing Employees – Managing your employees is an important part of owning a business; this website offers suggestions for effective employee management.
- Conflict Resolution – This PDF provides suggestions to help you resolve any conflicts that may arise when managing your business.
- Customer Service Resources – Customer service is a cornerstone of good business management.
- Small Business Insurance – Research your insurance options as a small business owner.
Selling Your Business
- Selling Your Business – This website explains what to do with your inventory, capital, and more when selling a business.
- Closing Your Business – This website provides a wide range of information, such as how to close out your payroll, regulations that are in effect, and tips for selling your business.
- How to Close a Business – A step-by-step guide to closing your business.
- Exit Strategies – Tools and exit strategies that business owners can use if they need to close their doors.
- Changes in Business – Selling your business? Learn more about the sale of a business and other changes that may occur.
- Payroll for a Closing Business – Information about taxes and what needs to be done financially to close your business.
- SCORE – Counselors to America’s Small Business. This website provides answers for small business owners and provides great resources.
- StartupNation – A website provides great information for new business owners.
- Starting a Business – Entrepreneur provides a variety of information to business owners, and includes everything from starting a business to topics related to business changes.
- The Small Business Advisor – Free business advice, tools, and information for business owners.
- Small Business Publications – A collection of business oriented publications and resources.